A descriptive essay is exactly what it sounds like. Unlike other types of essays, at their core are observations and detailed descriptions. These are used to create a unique experience for the audience or readers.
The necessary immersive effect can’t be achieved easily and this is why professional help is frequently required to compose a good descriptive essay. This is a great way to improve your own skills.
Your main objective is to identify the theme, object or idea that you wish to describe. Most often, writers tend to describe the following things:
- A particular person or group of people;
- An experience of the past;
- A place or a sight;
- A recollection;
- A certain object.
This type of essay focuses on what the reader can experience from your description.
What is the purpose of a descriptive essay?
If you want to succeed in writing a great essay, you will have to practice and try to come of with descriptions of the events or object that you come across. This doesn’t require any particular purpose, but for a descriptive essay you need a central idea, a reason behind it. Your goal is to convey something important to your reader. This may be an experience, emotion or your personal point of view.
Let’s take as an example the imaginary descriptive essay about your father. In this case you have chosen to describe his appearance and how he interacts with other people around him. A plain description won’t get you anywhere, but if you try to convey your admiration for him through your description then this is your reason behind the essay. Through subtle nuances you may offer the person you are describing a whole background story. If you describe your character as being dry and humorless, when interacting with strangers and that it completely changes during the interaction with beloved ones then this will suggest quite a lot of things. Being suggestive in your description is also a good way to pick the interest of your reader. Not everything has to be precisely described, but you can make few subtle suggestions to add more color to your essay.
Valuable tips for composing a decent essay
It is a very entertaining experience to try and compose a descriptive essay, however, it may seem a bit complicated at first and you may need to follow few important steps in order to get the job done. First you need to write down a plan, then complete the first draft and later think of how you can improve your essay.
Writing a plan for your essay:
- Decide on what exactly you want to describe;
- Make sure you have a reason behind your essay;
- Choose the central idea you would like to focus around.
Making the first outline:
- Gather all the necessary information for your description and concentrate on the most significant aspects;
- Your goal is to offer the necessary details to help your reader understand your emotion or experience that you are trying to convey.
Improving your essay:
- Think of what other details or words you could provide to improve your essay and offer a more vivid experience for your reader;
- Contrary to the first tip, you may want to exclude some of the unnecessary details from your description;
- Every paragraph has to reflect a particular aspect and complete the overall picture at the same time;
- The structure of your essay plays an important role and you may have to rearrange some paragraphs.